Show an attractive and manly skin with a good tan and protection
Nowadays are more the men who worry about presenting a fresh and natural look during the summer; however it is often difficult to really know how to tan properly and protect our skin from the sun without suffering occasional burns. To avoid these problems and take better care of our skin, the most important is to know which are the sun care products that we can use and the value that they have for us. This is as important as caring for our bodies or our diet; in fact, the experts say that the exposure to direct sunlight without any protection is the main cause of skin cancer diseases, among others.
Despite its danger, a balanced tan is one of the best options to protect your skin because a moderate UVB radiation produces vitamin D, and is beneficial to prevent possible skin diseases. For this reason, from Perfume's Club we want to help you know what kind of protectors for body and face, or which sun preparing products are the ones that better suit your skin.
What are the skin types and which one is mine depending on the characteristics of my skin?
When we go to look at the types of sunscreens and self-tanners that better adapt to us, the first thing to determine is what is our type of skin. A skin type is each one of the colors that exist in the different skin types and are determined by the pigments that compose our skin. These pigments are determined by our genetic and racial heritage. The simplest aspects that we observe to identify our skin type are: appearance of freckles in summer; our skin color during winter (milky-white, matte or semi-matte); the color acquired by tanning, etc. With this in mind we can identify six different skin types, and what sun protection factor (SPF) you can apply:
- Celtic skin type: it is recognized for having a fair or very fair skin, light eyes and many freckles. It is a type of very sensitive skin: are always burned by the sun and don't tan; the skin turns red in just about 12 minutes of sun exposure: the person presents signs of premature aging, etc. We recommend using the maximum protection factor (SPF) between 80 and 100.
- Germanic skin type: corresponds to light skin, and has light or brown eyes. It is a less sensitive skin and is characterized by: difficulty for tanning and sunburns; the skin turns red after fifteen minutes of sun exposure; presents signs of premature skin aging. For this type of skin we will apply sun protection SPF between 50 to 80.
- Caucasian skin type: corresponds to people with tendency to oily and clear skin, with brown or gray eyes and with auburn or blonde hair. Sometimes it burns, but usually it is easy to tan, and has better tolerance to ultraviolet rays. The SPF of this type of skin will go from 30 to 50.
- Mediterranean skin type: This type of skin is usually dark or matte, besides also having the hair and eyes dark. Rarely burns and tans easily. With this type of skin we will need an SPF of 20 to 30.
- Amerindian or mixed-race skin type: they present dark and matte skin, dark eyes and very dark or black hair. It hardly burns and tans very easily. Stains may appear with easiness on it and its photo aging is late and mild. It will be enough with a SPF between 15 and 20.
- Black skin type: people with black skin never burn and always tan evenly; the skin may be exposed to the sun without turning red up to 60 minutes and it hardly appear stains. In this case it will be sufficient to use a SPF of 15.
With this you have a basic idea about how to protect your skin during the summer or in any situation where you will be exposed to the sun for long hours. It's good that you also notice if the cream has filters to protect the skin from the UVA and UVB rays.
What are the sun care products out there?
Once you have determined which one is your skin type, we can pass to know the types of sun care products you can apply and their functions. There are three types clearly differentiated:
- Sun protector: also known as "sunscreens". They absorb radiation, while leaving the way for the tanning action.
- Self-Tanner: are products that accelerate the skin pigmentation or the tanning. There are two types: the one applied for sunbathing or the one applied without the need of sunbathing (fake tan makeup). Depending on your type of skin you can apply several versions:
- For dry skin: the best self-tanners are the ones in cream or mousse. They blend very well and provide good moisture to the skin.
- For oily skin: are versions in powder or compact. They last longer and absorb the sebum.
- For sensitive skin: hypoallergenic, organic or mineral self-tanners.
- For mixed skin: the ones that better suit you are the oily or liquid versions, depending on what we will need.
- Products for application after sun exposure or "after sun”: it serves to cool and soothe the skin after a prolonged exposure to the sun. Retrieves the pH balance of the skin, it nourishes and repairs. You can use them in cream, gel, fluid, spray or mask. You should consider which one to choose depending on your skin type.
If you already know the types of products and your skin type, you already have a clear idea of which are the sun care products you are interested in a particular case. It is important to consult your dermatologist about your skin type, because if you know this beforehand you'll be able to take care of your skin better.
Methods of application of our sun care products
The real utility of your sun care products is largely determined by how you use them. For this reason, it is very important that you know the basic guidelines that these products have to ensure its maximum effectiveness. Thus, we will give you some tips about its application:
- First of all, wear sunscreens or self-tanners that suit your particular type of skin and that contain UVA and UVB protection against sun rays.
- You must use the sufficient amount and cover the entire body surface. Not forgetting areas such as ears or scalp in the case of babies or having baldness.
- It is important to always apply the product to fully dry skin. If we do it when is still wet, the drops will act as a magnifying glass with the sun and increases the risk of sunburns.
- Apply the product at least 30 minutes before sun exposure, so that the skin can absorb it correctly and create the epidermal barrier that will protect you.
- If you are at the beach or the pool, you must apply the sunscreen after each bath that lasts more than 20 minutes, if not every two hours. It will be beneficial to use waterproof sunscreens to avoid being aware of this.
- Last but not least, the after sun must be always present among our sun care products. We do not usually give it the importance it deserves, and the truth is that whenever we expose to the sun for some time, our skin suffers, loses elasticity and presents signs of aging. Therefore, using a good facial or body after sun, will help us recover these features and will keep our skin nourished. Its main benefits are: refresh and decongest the skin; nourish, moisturize and restore our natural collagen; help the tan to settle and be more durable and bright; preserve the youth of our skin. For all these reasons, the after sun will always be your greatest ally.
If you follow these simple tips, you'll be able to make good use of your tanning, or to protect yourself from the sun better and for longer hours. Since it is a very important issue, follow these guidelines if you want to show a beautiful skin tone without taking any kind of risk for your skin health.